Nationwide and NACo College Scholarship
Drive your future forward. (And theirs too).
Your high school senior can be awarded $2,500 for college.
You may not have thought about it, but you're in a race against time to get ready to retire. The good news is: participating in your employer's retirement plan puts you in the driver's seat. As in any race, how well you do depends on knowing when to accelerate, how to get around obstacles and what to do as you near the finish line.
Nationwide and the National Association of Counties want high school seniors to understand how important it is to start saving early to be ready for retirement.
To help them get started toward that goal, Nationwide will give four NACo college scholarships-each worth $2,500-to four high school seniors whose parent or grandparent participates in a 457 plan within the NACo Deferred Compensation Program. Throughout their 34-year relationship, Nationwide and NACo have been committed to helping you plan for your retirement as well as your family's future.
How to apply
Complete an online application. As part of the application, your high school senior will be asked to write a short essay. Please keep the response to 500 words or fewer, and the student should answer in her or his own words.
What should county employees consider when saving for their retirement and why is it important to start saving early?
Terms and Conditions
- Graduating high school seniors who are legal U.S. residents are eligible to apply
- Applicant's parent or grandparent must be enrolled in and contribute to a 457 plan within the NACo Deferred Compensation Program
- Applicants must enroll in a full-time undergraduate course of study no later than the fall term of the 2015-2016 school year at an accredited two- or four-year college
- Immediate family members of NACo employees, or members of the NACo Deferred Compensation Advisory Committee, or its governing board of directors, or Nationwide employees are not eligible to apply; this program is not offered outside the United States
- Application and entry must be submitted online no later than March 8, 2015
- Scholarship entries will be reviewed by a committee of associates from both Nationwide and NACo; scholarship recipients will be chosen based on the content of their entry
- All entries submitted will become property of Nationwide and may be used for educational and/or marketing purposes; the original author will be credited
How scholarship recipients will be notified:
- Scholarship recipients will be notified in April 2015
- A check payable to the institution will be mailed directly to the institution of each scholarship recipient during the summer of 2015
- The winner must enroll in an accredited institution by the fall term of the 2015-2016 school year
Nationwide Retirement Solutions (Nationwide) makes payments to the National Association of Counties (NACo), NACo RMA LLC and the NACo Financial Services Center Partnership (FSC) for services and endorsements that NACo provides for all its members generally related to Nationwide's products and services sold exclusively in public sector retirement markets. More detail about these payments is available at www.nrsforu.com.
NACo RMA and NACo RMA LLC are each a Registered Municipal Advisor and do not recommend the purchase or sale of securities and do not hold or maintain funds or securities. NACo RMA and NACo RMA LLC act as third party marketers/solicitors. NACo RMA receives fees from NRS for such services. Thirty-seven state associations of counties are members of NACo RMA LLC and as such receive quarterly distributions from it. NACo RMA and NACo RMA LLC are NOT affiliates of Nationwide Investment Services Corp. or Nationwide Retirement Solutions.